Health and Nutrition Education Manager
This full-time at-will position is responsible for the development and implementation of health and nutrition education programs for older adults through evidence-based workshops, presentations, and health fairs as well as consulting to assigned individuals. The Health and Nutrition Education Manager performs nutrition education (Diabetes Self-Management Training, etc.) per defined contracts and promotes, coordinates and performs Matter of Balance and SAIL in the five county area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
- Evaluate and counsel assigned individuals about health and dietary needs.
- Prepare written reports and document case notes within established timeframes
- Responsible for the management and delivery of key objectives and outcomes for the Health Education Program
- Maintain Registered Dietician license, including continuing education in diabetes related education, according to State requirements
- Provide Diabetes Self-Management (DSM) education and training to assigned individuals
- Support agency accreditation in Diabetes Self-Management education and training
- Coordinate and monitor clinical experiences for assigned individuals
- Uses discretion and contributes to decision making in matters of significance for the Health Education Program
- Coordinate and participate in community education events related to health and wellness
- Develop and acquire evidence-based health and wellness programming suitable for older adults
- Conduct menu planning for the Home Delivered Meals and Congregate Meals programs
- Document all health education promotion activities and individuals served.
- Promote the Health Education Program and ensure programming is present in all five counties (Elkhart, La Porte, Kosciusko, Marshall and St. Joseph).
- Promote, coordinate and oversee activities for the Food as Medicine Grant in all five counties.
- Maintain focal point agreements in Elkhart, La Porte, Kosciusko, Marshall and St. Joseph counties.
- Promote the focal point network and enlist new focal points.
- Serve as a facilitator for advance care planning discussions with individuals
- Represent REAL Services at health fairs and other venues.
- Other duties as may be assigned and/or requested from time to time in fulfillment of the agency’s mission.
This person must understand and work toward fulfilling the agency’s goals, mission, and vision. This position makes a substantial contribution to the mission of REAL Services, Inc. The Health and Nutrition Education Manager is responsible for conducting specific health promotion activities or presentations and providing Diabetes Self-Management (DSM) education and training to assigned individuals. This position may be funded through the Older American’s Act (III D) or Area Agency on Aging Administrative Funding.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in nutrition science or related field. Credentialed as a Registered Dietitian (RD). Experience working with older adults and public speaking preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Works well independently, keeping the Planning, Contracting and Quality Assurance Director updated and informed of program progress.
- Team oriented person who is highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and ability to interpret medical charting.
- Ability to complete organized paperwork thoroughly and accurately.
- Good organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with other community partners
- Knowledge in the use of computer programs including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and ability to learn other computer programs as relevant to successful completion of tasks.
- Ability to effectively use telehealth and technology for virtual communication
DIFFICULTY OF WORK
Meeting the health and nutrition education needs of the staff and community is an important task. Good judgment is needed. Health and nutrition education activities are conducted in the community and through home visits for assigned individuals.
PERSONAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- With assigned individuals
- With the public, community groups and agencies
- With volunteers
- With Planning, Contracting and Quality Assurance Director
- With all Agency staff members
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually seated, standing, or walking at will in a typical office setting. Very limited physical effort required. Regular travel to workshops, presentations, individual home visits or other health education activities at locations in Indiana and within Elkhart, Kosciusko, LaPorte, Marshall and St. Joseph counties is required. Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Valid driver’s license and a dependable vehicle required
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Successful candidate must submit to a pre-employment drug screening, National Sex Offender Registry check, motor vehicle driver history check and a limited criminal history check
- Proof of educational credentials is required at time of employment
- (For new employees starting 9/1/20 or after) Password protected home personal internet
access of a quality good enough so that you may perform the duties required, including
but not limited to basic web browsing and data entry, making internet based phone and video calls, watching webinars, and participating in online meetings.
- This position has a six-month probationary period.
- Must sign a non-compete clause.
Apply for this position
Thank you for applying for this position. Please remember to fill out and upload your Pre-Employment Application and resume.
Download the Pre-Employment Application at: https://realservices.org/app