REAL Services has immediate need for a part-time Transportation Driver to work Monday-Friday normally 8:00 a.m. to noon. Driver provides transportation for older adults (who have no other means) to necessary appointments or for errand purposes. Must be available 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. as occasionally the driver must fill-in for afternoon drivers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Picks up assignments from Transportation Assistants each morning; picks up clients and returns them from necessary appointments, grocery shopping, or other errands; performs errands or shopping for clients when they are unable to go.
- Assists clients in determining where the best sales, discounts, etc. can be obtained; collects contributions from clients and returns them to the Transportation Assistants.
- Maintains record of mileage, time, and services to client on client service sheet and obtains clients’ signature; plans carefully to make efficient use of time and vehicle.
This work is moderately complex with consideration given to picking up older people who may not be ready and waiting, helping them into the vehicle and rounding the group up in preparation for the trip home. Also, care must be taken to insure that they are not injured in an accident or jostled around by the sudden application of brakes, etc. Work instructions are fairly complete and each driver is provided a list of people to pick up.
The driver must be able to think quickly and remember to get the clients to their appointments on time. Time management is very important because the driver may have more than one client ready to return home at once. The driver must be able to balance getting the client home in an efficient, timely and safe manner while making sure to get other clients to their appointments on time.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Experience in “rules of the road” helpful.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Good driving background and experience in “rules of the road”
- Knowledge of streets in service area.
- Ability to work with older adults who may have illnesses or special needs, in a sympathetic and patient manner.
DIFFICULTY OF WORK
The work is fairly repetitive and requires concentration during driving in different and difficult road conditions. Driver must be able to adapt to the different needs of each client and display patience and respect. Driver may be required to assist a client with groceries or other medical items needed to be transported.
PERSONAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- With clients
- With transportation staff
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually driving and standing or walking to assist clients. Regular travel required to assist with transporting of clients within the St. Joseph County service area. May be exposed to inclement weather while driving or helping client in and out of vehicle. Some physical effort required for short periods of time while helping client in and out of vehicle or carrying groceries for clients, but any strain is only of a short period of time.
- Valid driver’s license, a good driving record, thorough knowledge of state driving laws and a dependable vehicle required with proper insurance (as required by the Agency), and personal mileage driven will be reimbursed.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Successful candidate must submit to a pre-employment drug screening, a limited criminal history check, National Sex Offender Registry check and a driver’s record check and have the company required minimum auto liability insurance coverage.
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Two-part Retirement Plan
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick leave
- 8 1/2 Paid Holidays
- Plus a bonus paid floating holiday that you choose
- Mileage Reimbursement when you drive your personal vehicle for the Agency