REAL Services has immediate need for a full-time Cook to work in our Meals on Wheels kitchen in South Bend, IN. The Cook is responsible for filling in for all food service staff and to prepare and work caterings with the Director and/or Food Truck Supervisor. Food preparation will be for the Congregate, Meals on Wheels and Catering Programs. Must be able to work Flexible Hours. Will fill in for other food service staff and for caterings. Weekend/evening hours may be necessary. Work may begin as early as 2:30 a.m. and end late because of caterings. Weekend hours may be worked depending upon caterings or training. Hours are normally scheduled ahead of time so the cook will have time to prepare but may change depending upon circumstances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Fills in for other staff
- Assists in preparing hot and cold meals
- Helps set up and tear down volunteers lunch area
- Assists on hot food line
- Preps food for next day (Jello, pies, cakes, salads, etc.)
- Cleans and sanitizes prep area daily
- Cleans refrigerator weekly
- Prepares special diet meals for week and weekend
The Cook is responsible for assisting in food preparation for the Meal Program clients. Food must be handled in a sanitary fashion to prevent contamination causing clients to become ill. The Cook bags up milt to be sent out to the clients making sure that the proper amount of milk is readied. The Cook cleans the cold food preparation area daily making sure to sanitize all work surfaces before and after food preparation. This is done to eliminate cross contamination. The Cook cleans the refrigerator weekly and notified the Purchasing Coordinator or the Director of food shortages or unsuitable foods. The Cook is responsible for preparing food, setup and delivery of caterings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of State Health Department Regulations
- Knowledge of special diets
- Ability to lift institutional packaged food and supplies
- Knowledge of bulk food preparation
DIFFICULTY OF WORK
This position requires knowledge of food preparation and the ability to adjust food product to fit various dietary diets. Specific recipes should be followed to maintain consistency.
PERSONAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- With Kitchen and office staff
- With Volunteers
- With clients
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually standing most of the day. Lifting of institutional food products and supplies are usual. Safety must be adhered to when working with kitchen equipment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Successful candidate must submit to a pre-employment drug screening, a driver history background check, National Sex Offender Registry check and a limited criminal history check.
- This position has a 6 month probationary period.
- Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan Participation
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Personal Days
- Floating Holiday
Check out our website at www.realservices.org