Elkhart Volunteer Assistant
This full-time at-will position is responsible for supporting Elkhart Meals on Wheels Volunteers. Assisting with client follow up, start up, routing, data entry and getting client data information to the Kitchen Assistants. Assistant is also responsible for coordinating volunteers for meal routes, training new volunteers, and tracking all volunteer hours, collecting all route sheets from volunteers and entering information in the database. Position also delivers meals for routes with a volunteer vacancy. Position also will oversee volunteers for the REAL Friends Telephone Isolation Program. Position supports the Elkhart Case Management Department as needed. Filing, copying, data entry, tracking volunteers recording hours and numbers of volunteers. Position also will answer the telephone and assist clients as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
- Coordinate, train, ride with and record volunteers and hours.
- Creating and updating volunteer welcoming packets and recognition procedures and programs.
- Assist in Kitchen and with catering services and preparation when needed.
- Review and update volunteer policy procedures and manuals.
- Deliver Meals on Wheels as needed because of volunteer vacancies.
- Recruit and train volunteers for Telephone Reassurance
- Call clients as needed
- Following up on client needs/request
- Data entry
- Volunteer recruitment and presentations
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
The job requires the application of accepted practice to individual situations. The incumbent receives specific instruction on new types of assignments and all work is reviewed for adherence to guidelines and soundness of judgment. This position may be paid for by Older American’s Act.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Experience working with the general public.
- Volunteer experience preferred but not required.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Excellent communication skills oral and written.
- Knowledge of State Health Department regulations and safe food handling procedures.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Access, Excel and Word.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of Elkhart and surrounding area.
- Good driving record.
DIFFICULTY OF WORK
Guidelines are well established and judgment is limited to relating those guidelines to specific circumstances or cases. The work is restricted in scope, but of substantial intricacy to necessitate occasionally handling difficult situations quickly and tactfully with the flexibility to use initiative and judgment.
PERSONAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- With clients and public.
- With REAL Services staff.
- With REAL Services Volunteer Coordinator.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually standing, or walking at will. Physical effort is limited in scope. Driving and delivering meals in inclement weather.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Successful candidate must submit to a pre-employment drug screening, driver history check, National Sex Offender Registry check and a limited criminal history check.
- Must maintain liability coverage on personal vehicle that meets the Agency requirements.
- Proof of educational credentials is required at time of employment.
- This position has a 6 month probationary period.
Apply for this position
Thank you for applying for this position. Please remember to fill out and upload your Pre-Employment Application and resume.
Download the Pre-Employment Application at: https://realservices.org/app