REAL Services’ Rental Assistance Program is now assisting households whose income has been affected by COVID-19.
This assistance includes households who have experienced:
- A cut in hours or wages due to the pandemic
- A lay-off due to the pandemic
- A decrease or loss of income due to loss of childcare
- A decrease or loss of income due to medical conditions in the household due to COVID-19
- Confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Adult members of the household who are self-employed must provide self-employment tax, invoices, and/or a statement from one or more clients with contact information. This COVID-19 rental assistance program excludes households that have had a decrease or loss of income unrelated to the pandemic or whose sole income is Social Security or SSI.
The REAL Services Rental Assistance Program is able to assist households in Elkhart, Fulton, Kosciusko, Marshall, and St. Joseph Counties. However, there is limited funding available for households outside of South Bend.
Those interested in applying for rental assistance must submit an application and ALL relevant documentation to determine their eligibility. NOTE: Households must be within 200% of poverty guidelines at the time of application to be eligible. Households that receive Section 8 are eligible for assistance for the amount paid by the household only.
Applications for St. Joseph County should use the link below.
If you live in Elkhart, Kosciusko, Marshall or Fulton Counties, please call 574-284-2061.
The following information must be submitted with the application:
- Photo IDs for all adult household members
- Social Security Cards for all household members
- Income for all adult household members:
- Paystubs before and after decrease or loss of income
- Letter from employer stating decrease/loss of wages due to COVID-19
- Self-employment: tax documents and invoices from the beginning of the year
- Cash employment: invoices, receipts, or client statements with contact information
- Lease or Rental Agreement
- Rent ledger from landlord or property manager
- Paperwork for any COVID-19 positive test results
- Proof of Income
- Proof of loss or decrease in income